Monday, July 16, 2012

Warning Signs

"Dear Children, keep away from anything that might take God's place in your hearts. Amen."
1 John 5:21

John's admonition to "keep away" reminds me of various warning signs: "Keep Out", "Beware of Dog", "No Trespassing". Unfortunately, not all pitfalls are so clearly marked, so how do I recognize the dangers? The Holy Spirit guides me, informs and protects me and, like a child, I must learn to listen.  My sinful nature struggles against this, which is so frustrating! I know I love God and want him to dwell richly in my heart for I have experienced disaster when I've gone my own way. So, why the struggle?
When I get to heaven, I will plop down and sigh with relief to see the end of discord and division of self. Help me to read the signs and listen to you, dearest Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment