Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Satisfaction for the Soul

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water...My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods...Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.  My soul clings to you."
Psalm 63

You are MY God. This is a personal claim of ownership; we belong to each other but it's a difficult relationship. I am a visual person, tangible, whereas you are spiritual, unseen. How do we breech these differences?
You satisfy my soul, not with wan crackers and weary brussel sprouts but with mocha cake and mashed potatos with gravy, all the foods I adore. You create glorious butterfly wings using brilliant hues and precise symmetry. Some may scoff and say, "What a waste, using such artistry on a briefly living thing," but you are not one to go halfway.  You could have made all the leaves of autumn mud-brown, but you chose to splash the hillsides with firey oranges, golden yellows and blushing reds so my soul would be sated by the richest of fare.  If I were the only human on earth, these colors you would yet create. There is humor in the funny white dog with the marbly eyes and yappy bark. There is majesty in the silky fur and languid eyes of the posing cat.  There is mystery is the heavenly bodies of the clear, ebony sky.  There is rest for my clinging soul in the absolutes of your world.
You are all I need. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment