Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Shadowy Valley

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me; your rod and staff, they comfort me."
Psalm 23: 4

I have never seen a shepherd in action, but I imagine the rod and staff are used to beat off enemies or pull back wayward sheep from a hazard.  I picture the valley of the shadow of death as a dark, creepy place filled with frightening unknowns.  Maybe I would hear screams or smell rotting flesh; anything that would make my heart melt like wax, and I have to walk through there!  How can I bear it? Every fiber of my being resists going there and yet I must someday. But, see, by the time I get to that portal, I have already been led along far less dangerous terrains by my Shepherd.  He is a tried, true, trusted friend who is stronger and wiser than me.  He not only knows the way, he IS the way.  He has led me to restful green pastures before, so I know he cares for me: he's not going to leave me in the shadows.  When I get through it, to the other side, he has prepared a safe place for me in full view of all my enemies.  Then, he anoints my head with oil, as if I am royalty. My cup will overflow and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Amen. Let it be no other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment