Sunday, August 11, 2013

Have a Little Compassion

"A bruised reed he will not break, and a smouldering wick he will not snuff out."
Isaiah 42:3

     One of my neighbors is a smouldering wick. The evidence of her disadvantages or poor choices in this life are seen in her unkempt yard and noisy nights. While I feel sorry for her children, I find myself running out of patience with her. I wish she'd clean up her act.
 
     Am I being Christ-like? Would Jesus act that way toward her?

     Thank God, Jesus is not like me. I am ashamed of myself as I feel the loving, compassionate eyes of my Savior bearing down hard on me! I can envision Jesus patiently bending over a wick being drowned in wax, coaxing it along until the flame burned brightly once more. Tenderly, he'd keep fertilizing and pruning a struggling house plant that I would have set on the curb long ago.

     Christianity is a tougher road to walk when it goes right by the front of your house, isn't it? If I had the courage of Christ, I'd go talk to this neighbor and offer a hand. If I am to reflect the compassion of God in my life, I had better clean up MY act!

     Father, forgive me. Help me to remove the log in my own haughty eyes before I worry about the speck of sawdust in those of my neighbor. I thank you for not giving up on me when I smoulder in my sins.

No comments:

Post a Comment