Sunday, August 11, 2013

A Valuable Heirloom

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."
2 Timothy 4: 14 & 15

     My mother would regularly quote scriptures that pertained to my circumstances in life. When I was mad at my sister, she'd listen to my grousing before gently reminding me: "Do not let the sun go down on your anger."  When I became restless and bored, she'd say, "Idle hands are the devil's workshop," as she handed me a list of chores. When, as an adult, the storms of life caused me to doubt, she'd mail a small card to me with these words: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

     Why did she coach me in this way? It's because she'd tested the faith for herself and knew the word of God to be an unfaltering foundation, not just for the time being, but for all eternity. The Scriptures were woven into the fabric of my days just as naturally as good recipes, happy memories and family traditions. This type of heirloom cannot be stolen, will not come apart and will always retain its value.

     I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment