Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Firm Foundation

"So, this is what the Sovereign Lord says, 'See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed."
Isaiah 28: 16

      The old house in which I was raised is still there, silently standing on the shady street by the vacant elementary school. The kids are grown and gone, my father's in an assisted living facility; my mother remains there. It's a place dear to my heart with its spidery basement, creaky wood floors and screened back porch where we ate watermelon and squirted seeds at each other. Raised by Christian parents, this is where I felt safe and securely loved. Even after I moved out, I could always return for a warm reception, laughter and support. Like Scarlett O'Hara, I thought I drew my strength from the red earth of my Tara. As time changes things, I wonder how could I ever accept someone else living there someday?

     A black and white photograph I have shows me at age three standing by the foundation of that house, ready for Sunday School with my offering envelope in hand and a large Bible tucked under my arm. As I pondered that photo, I came to realize that my true strength comes from the tested Cornerstone, Jesus Christ. Everything that I see is temporary; what is unseen is eternal so I place my trust on that tested Stone. I will never be dismayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment