Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Twenty Third Psalm Part 4

 "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for thou art with me, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."

     What is scarier than death? Human beings have an inate desire to survive. If they can't breath, they gasp for air. If hungry, they go to great lengths to eat and drink. If ailing, they seek remedies. Portrayals of the Grim Reaper make us clutch our hearts in fear. For some, what happens after death is a great unknown. Is hell real? Perhaps they'll just go there and bend elbows with old buddies. Or will they idly strum a harp on a cloud?
     Praise be to God above that we, as believers, need not fear death, being gripped by mysteries unknown. Jesus has gone on before us into this valley of the shadow of death and has resurrected as the Victor! When I find myself entering this shadowy place, as I one day will, I know I will be with Christ, just as the thief on the cross next to Jesus was guaranteed. As I tread on that new road, I will look up beside me to find a smiling Jesus, holding my hand, saying "Fear Not!" I have his divine protection and holy presence every day.
     In 2 Samuel 14:14, it says, "Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him." That's something you can sleep well on!

No comments:

Post a Comment