Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Twenty Third Psalm, Part 5

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. Thou anointest my head with oil. My cup runneth over."
Psalm 23

     Imagine God preparing a table. He may spread a fine, linen cloth, lay a lovely centerpiece composed of his finest flowers, pull out the best accouterments, draw up a most comfortable chair. I am sure all needs would be met: salt and pepper, a napkin. Who would dine with me? Personally, I would love to converse with King David and Queen Esther! Jesus would be at the head, regaling us with stories of old, laughing at some of our foibles or revealing great mysteries. Who is NOT invited? My enemies, who are skulking about the hall, perturbed to have lost my company. Isaiah 55, verse 2 says: "Listen, listen to me and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."
     Some biblical characters who were anointed were Aaron and his sons as priests, Saul, David and Solomon as kings, as well as other kings in the Old Testament. Am I to be counted amongst this honored number? Figuratively, God anoints my head with oil as a symbol that I am to be set apart, in service to him and his people. Just like a king or a priest, I am duty bound to uphold my reputation; it's an honor not to be misused and, with the Holy Spirit's help, I am up to the task.
     Indeed, my cup runneth over!

No comments:

Post a Comment