Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Twenty Third Psalm, Part 2

"He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters."
Psalm 23

     In the novel, Gone With The Wind, the heroine, Scarlett, finds herself burdened by too many responsibilities. War comes. She has a child, becomes a widow, and delivers her friend's baby as the city burns around her. Even Rhett Butler leaves her on the road to Tara, her childhood home. Tiredly, she places one foot in front of the other, yearning to get home to her mother who will certainly take her burdens from her. But, when she gets there, she is distraught to learn her mother died the day before, her sisters are quite ill and her father's mind has become unhinged. Unfortunately, Scarlett does not know God and the green pastures of peace elude her as she stumbles beneath heavy loads.
     Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11: 28-30)
     Thanks be to God that He is greater and stronger than me, fully capable of bearing my burdens with me, leading me beside those still waters. What a calming relief!

No comments:

Post a Comment