Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Twenty Third Psalm, Part 1

"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want."
Psalm 23:1

     This psalm is one of the most recognizable scriptures. Why is it so special? To find out for myself, I began to pray this psalm before retiring each night, pondering and personalizing it until it became sweeter than food for me.
     I don't have much working knowledge of shepherds, but I do tend several pets: a dog and two cats. They are well fed, exercised, reprimanded at times, kept from harm, given all the comforts of home and love of people free of charge. Without our efforts, they would suffer. It is upright and ethical to care for them, but my family and I also love them and will grieve for them when they pass away.
     This is grace. Just as we take care of these animals, God takes care of us because he loves us. Falling asleep with this reassurance brings such sweet dreams. I've not a thing to worry about!

No comments:

Post a Comment