Tuesday, February 9, 2021

What Do You Want?

 "Two things I ask of you, Lord; do not refuse me before I die..." Proverbs 30:7

    My husband showed me a car featured in a magazine. Carbon fiber body, Leather interior. Custom calipers. Top speed: 261 mph. A bold, beautiful, blue Bugati Chiron with a price tag of $3,710,850.00. I had no idea a car could cost so much! The artsy photo layout boasted these words: Money. Power. Respect. 

    If you could ask God for something, what would it be? Pause to ponder because your response will reflect what's in your heart. Solomon was given just such an opportunity when the Lord appeared to him one night in a dream and implored: "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." (1 Kings 3:5) When Solomon's request for wisdom was uttered, it revealed what lay in the young king's heart. This so pleased the Lord that He went ahead and granted him wealth and honor on top of a discerning heart. No wiser man than Solomon has ever lived.

    I recently made a bucket list and presented it prayerfully to Jesus. I asked for three things: 

  • to volunteer with Samaritan's Purse as a first responder emergency relief worker
  • to lead someone to faith in Christ
  • to read a Bible story to a future grandchild
    No sports car on this list, but I'd feel wealthier than Oprah Winfrey if He grants them to me. One of the items is pretty close to being fulfilled as I write this. God is so good to me! You know, godliness with contentment is great gain, according to 1 Timothy 6:6, and what do I have to gain? All the riches that righteousness can afford such as freedom from the bondage of sin, a peace that passes all understanding, a loving Savior who walks and talks with me every day and will be there to lead me by the hand to my heavenly home. What can be more valuable than that?

"...Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or, I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." Proverbs 30: 8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment