Sunday, February 21, 2021

The Soul-Crushing Dilemma

 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left." Matthew 25: 31-33

    Years ago, I saw a movie called "Sophie's Choice" in which one scene made a lasting impression on me. The setting is that of a concentration camp where Sophie, the mother of two, is forced by a cruel officer, to choose which of her two children will live - the daughter or the son. This emotional dilemma cuts to the heart of any human being, especially a mother.

    When I read the verses above, that horrid scene replayed in my heart as I imagined my loved ones in two different lines on Judgment Day. Just reading the words does not grasp the deep torment that will rend hearts in two as families are separated! 

    Jesus wept over Jerusalem, crying out, "If you, only you, had known on this day what would bring you peace - but now it is hidden from your eyes." (Luke 19:41) Tearfully, I join Him in His anguish over the lost! He is not wanting anyone to perish (2 Peter 3:9) and neither am I. 

    Oh, Lord God, forgive our smug complacency and our apathetic attitude toward such a dire situation. We should be scattering seeds like there's no tomorrow because, one day, there won't be one. With You, we weep deep tears. If only the lost would see the love and peace You offered through the death and resurrection of your precious Son. Amen.

"I want to stroll over heaven with you some glad day,

When all our troubles and heartaches are vanished away.

Then we'll enjoy the beauty where all things are new;

I want to stroll over heaven with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment