Saturday, February 20, 2021

He's so Close

 "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach. It is not up in heaven so that you have to ask, 'Who will ascend into heaven to get it and proclaim it to us so that we may obey it?' Nor is is beyond the sea, so that you have to ask, 'Who will cross the sea to get it and proclaim it to us so that we may obey it?' No, the word is very near you; it is in your mouth and in your heart so that you may obey it." Deuteronomy 30: 11-14 

    Have you ever gone to bed carrying a burden? You wake up feeling as if you'd engorged a gallon of ice cream before retiring. Sodden and miserable as a saturated beach towel.

    Try as I might to curtail the flotsam of life, it followed me like a bedraggled, wet dog all week long. The nettles unnerved me until I ended the week by snapping at my friend and crabbing at technology. I fell into bed, trying to drown out the thoughts that chased each other like squirrels around a tree. When the light of day lay across my bed, I wearily rose, talking to King Jesus in my heart. Immediately, Philippians 4:8 came to mind: "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things...and the God of peace will be with you."

   Energized by this loving reminder, my eyes cast about seeking sparks of joy: the vivid colors of my shower curtain, an embroidered dresser scarf from a dear friend, the contentment of a cat curled in his bed, even the softly falling snowflakes brought gratitude. The weight began to lift.

    God is so attentive. The first words I read today were in a devotional email. I laughed out loud when, the opening verse was... Philippians 4:8! Isn't it beautiful, the nearness of the Lord? It's as if He's in my pocket, at the ready, giving me a nudge. How happy I am that I don't have to look any further than heart, the home of the Holy Spirit, to find Living Water and Daily Bread. It digests so much better than ice cream.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near." Philippians 4: 4, 5

No comments:

Post a Comment