Saturday, February 6, 2021

Do God a Favor

 "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom God's favor rests." Luke 2:14

    When Jesus' birth announcement was being heralded to the shepherds, the angels spoke of peace for those "on whom God's favor rests" so I wondered what that means, exactly. A wordsmith at heart, I ferreted the dictionary's definition of being in someone's favor. It means to be approving, supporting and endorsing. I'd really like to be in good with God like that, but yet I know I cannot earn my salvation. 

    To find out more, I turned to my concordance and found a plethora of information. As a wife, I liked this first one:

  • "He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord." Proverbs 18:22
  • "The Lord detests dishonest scales, but accurate weights find favor with him." Proverbs 11:1
  • "For those who find me (wisdom) find life and receive favor from the Lord." Proverbs 8:35
  • "The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering, he did not find favor." Genesis 4:4
  • "He mocks proud mockers but shows favor to the humble and oppressed." Proverbs 3:34
    So far, the Lord likes it when we unite in marriage, practice honesty, search for wisdom, give sincere offerings (to be true in heart), and remain humble. In the Old Testament, when these two evil kings, Jehoahaz and Manasseh, recognized the problems their sin caused, they humbled themselves and sought the Lord who heard their prayer and brought deliverance (2 Kings 13:4, 2 Chronicles 33:12).
    
    Perhaps you see a pattern here? Live under His umbrella, live in peace. Stray away, find chaos. Moses asked God: "If you're pleased with me, teach me your ways so that I may know you and continue to find favor with you." (Exodus 33:13) This next morsel of truth I have written in the front cover of my Bible: "Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man." (Proverbs 3: 3, 4)
    
    If anxiety or agitation aggravate your days, do God a favor as well as yourself and those around you: Come under His umbrella in humility, with a broken and contrite heart, and the favor of God will rest upon you peacefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment