Friday, January 1, 2021

The Comforts of Home

"For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal home in heaven, not built by human hands." 2 Corinthians 5:1

    I was so blessed to grow up in a small, serene village, raised by Christian parents. My sisters, friends and I rode our bikes in the quiet streets and played in the schoolyard till dusk, strangers to fear. 

    When the passage of time ferried me to places afar, it was a comfort to me knowing I could always go home to unconditional love and spiritual joy. A smile from mom, a joke from dad, hugs all around. How I miss it!

    Now that the folks are in heaven and the family home sold, it has occurred to me that my childhood sanctuary had been a foreshadowing of my true dwelling place, an eternal home "not built by human hands."

    The utter depravity of this broken world brings with it dashed hopes, despair and unrealized dreams but the comforts of home can be found in the everlasting arms of the Savior, Jesus Christ. Smiles and hugs abound, fear has been vanquished by perfect love and therein lies the peace that passes all understanding.

"Jesus replied, 'Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.'" John 14:23

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person and they with me." Revelation 3:20  

No comments:

Post a Comment