Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Sweet Land of Liberty

 "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners." Isaiah 61:1

    Driving to work on this dark, dreary day my soul was downcast within me and I pled aloud to God. I fight the feeling of fear as each day's news seems to go from bad to worse. Censorship, shut downs and the silencing of "certain people" pricked my heart as I asked God, "What are we to do? Our liberties are not only at risk, they are being removed!" Never did I dream of this happening in America!

    Just then, the perfect song played over the radio, as if Jesus himself were serenading me. Tears flowed freely as I heard, "His Eye is on the Sparrow." The fear that had fenced me in gave way to the very real presence of God, right there in my Buick, as these words soothed, "I sing because I'm happy; I sing because I'm free! For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."

    While my heart was rent, God used this time to remind me of those Christians, like Corrie Ten Boom and her sister, Bessie, who suffered in the concentration camps during the Holocaust. ALL of their liberties, their possessions, their kindred and even their names were stolen from them. Yet those souls were more free, more thoroughly liberated, than anybody on the other side of that razor wire.

    They believed these words of Jesus, and so do I: "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, no one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10:28

Let Freedom Ring!

No comments:

Post a Comment