Sunday, January 17, 2021

The Necklace

 "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13: 45 & 46

    What's your most precious possession?

    I've been reading a book entitled, "The Necklace," by Cheryl Jarvis. In it, a middle-aged woman went to the mall to buy a box of chocolates. As she moseyed along, she passed a dazzling diamond necklace on display in the jeweler's window. Tantalized as though hypnotized, she entered the store, soon forgetting about her original mission, and asked to try it on. "Perhaps if I'd have lived my life differently, I would have been able to afford such a piece," she mused to herself. "Why can't we enjoy such luxuries as people who admire pricey works of art in a museum? But, no one needs a diamond necklace...what of all the true needs in this world?" And so, the unspoken battle continued as she studied her reflection wearing the $37,000 stunner. Eventually, the thought came to her to appeal to others of like mind to go in together and buy the necklace to share the joy, like a time-share. 

    Once the group of thirteen women gathered around their new purchase, they each tried it on. The necklace made them feel thinner and taller, attractive and desirable. Feelings of self-confidence gave them value and the euphoria of wearing a ring of fifteen carats made them feel invincible. It gave them much pleasure to share it with brides, cancer survivors, young debutants and an elderly bridge club. One of the owners gushed, "It was such a glorious feeling, like eternal sunshine, a lovely, hopeful feeling for the planet."

    Though I do not own such an item, my most valuable possession is a free gift. It makes me feel invincible because it gives me everlasting life. How can I help feeling fifteen feet tall after knowing how much God loves me, that His only Son laid down His life for me? He removed my dirty garments of sin and wrapped me in His white robe of righteousness, crowning me with love and compassion. He has gone on to prepare a mansion for me because He wants me to be with Him in all His glory. Talk about "eternal sunshine!" This gift of salvation is so precious to me that I want to share it with you. If you would like to be a part of this "time-share," ask Jesus to come into your heart and He will wrap you in eternal luxuries.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment