Saturday, January 23, 2021

Don't Get Too Comfortable

 "Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back...If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to everyone: 'Watch!'" Mark 13: 35, 36

"Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour." Matthew 25: 13

"And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber." Romans 13: 11

    Recently, I bought a mattress topper from that MyPillow guy. He promised it would bring me the most comfortable sleep of my life. I've discovered that the more cozy I am, the more resistant I am to get up and greet the morn. Maybe a stiffer surface would be better for me in the long run.

    Similarly, getting too comfortable in the patterns of this world will distract me from my true mission as a soldier of the cross. Sleeping on the ground with my boots on and my weapon at my side, so to speak, would be wiser. 

    The Bible tells us repeatedly to stay alert and watch for the return of the Bridegroom, who is Christ Jesus. As He told the High Priest before His crucifixion, "You will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Mark 14:62)

    Perhaps that's too fantastic for you to believe. Put yourself in the days of Noah. You're going about your everyday affairs, never listening to the loon who's building a boat no where near any water. He's always yammering about a coming judgment and a rain storm, but you blow him off with a wave of your hand. "I don't seen any rain," you scoff. "He's nuts." But one very wet day, the truth came out and the door of the ark was shut.

    Thousands of years later, the theory of evolution alters the obvious physical evidence of the worldwide deluge and explains away creationism with a wave of the hand. "Nah, I don't believe all those fairy tales. That's nuts." Whether you believe it or not, doesn't change the truth. God tells the gospel truth and He will not be mocked. Don't get too comfortable! Wake up and watch the skies, be prepared by filling your soul with the Holy Spirit and sharing the truth with others before it's everlastingly too late. 

"For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." John 3: 17, 18

No comments:

Post a Comment