Saturday, October 27, 2012

Step Out of the Boat

"Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came to Jesus."
Matthew 14:29, 30

     Jesus must've relished in Peter's impulsivity, his derringdo! What reckless courage he had to step out of the boat amid wind and waves. Perhaps it would have been "easier" on a calm lake with a still boat, but Peter wanted to be like Jesus. For an instant, he knew he could walk on water, too. What a spiritual high! His eyes, locked on Jesus' eyes, determined and shining until..."But when he saw the wind he was afraid and, beginning to sink, he cried out, 'Lord, save me!'" It wasn't the Law of Gravity that caused him to sink, it was fear.
     Jesus, give me a courageous heart that will take risks. May I possess an abandonment of fear, casting aside my own perceptions and inhibitions, locking on your gaze as I step out of the boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment