Sunday, October 21, 2012

Like A Rock

"Lift up your eyes to the heavens, look at the earth beneath; the heavens will vanish like smoke, the earth will wear out like a garment and its inhabitants die like flies. But my salvation will last forever, my righteousnes will never fail."
Isaiah 51: 6

     Chevy trucks are built like a rock, or so we're told, and diamonds are forever. Is anything really built to last for all eternity? In the verse above, God tells me to look up, down and all around. What I see is temporary. The sun will vanish? Even the earth beneath my feet will wear out like an old shirt? Everyone I know is as vulnerable as a fly at summer's end? Then what can I believe in, how shall I live?
     I shall live as an Easter person, laying up my treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, where thieves will not break in and steal. Just as the glory of the autumn leaves fade away, so will my body, but my spirit belongs to the Lord who never changes.
     "On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." 

No comments:

Post a Comment