Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pay It Forward

"He decreed statutes for Jacob and established the law in Israel which he commanded our forefathers to teach their children so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn will tell their children.  Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands."
Psalm 78: 5-7

My parents gave me music lessons, braces for my crooked teeth, food and shelter, a bicycle, games and toys, an education, unconditional love, vacations, laughter and joy, but all would be hollow without the faith in God they demonstrated. If I were mad, mom would remind me, "Don't let the devil get a foothold!" If I were worried, she'd say "Cast all your anxieties on him for he cares for you." Watching birds at the feeder, mom would sing "For his eye is on the sparrow and I know he watches me." My parents prayed during times of distress, praised through moments of joy, accredited their Creator for all things. They spoke of their faith, they taught their children, they prayed for each grandchild as they continued to live in Christ. They showed me the Way, the Truth and the Life so I may live with Jesus for all eternity.
I can't think of a more blessed childhood than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment