Saturday, May 1, 2021

You Never Know

 "For who knows a person's thoughts except their own spirit with them?" I Corinthians 2:11

    It must be human nature to make quick assessments solely based on the outer package of a person because I catch myself doing it all the time. Perhaps we make these initial judgments intuitively, but it's dangerous to remain there. Usually, our initial thoughts are quite misconstrued.

    For example, I know a delightful, cheerful woman at work who has a kind word accompanied by a smile every single day. At first glance, it seemed she had not a care in the world. One day, I asked her about the wrap bandage she had on her ankle, thinking she'd sprained it. I was shocked when she told me that years ago she had been in a horrible accident which severed her foot! Perhaps surviving this near-death traumatic experience has sealed her decision to live each day positively and joyfully. 

    A quiet child passes by me every day. She's a slight, petite gal who usually stands alone in the lunch line. It broke my heart to learn of an unspeakable tragedy she has endured. Now, grief shrouds my soul as she walks by and I silently beg God to hold her in His arms. 

    How many more unspoken biographies surround me? O, God, it's no wonder your greatest commandment is to love one another for, without that, we are ignorant of the needs of others. Without your grace, envy, anger, indifference, selfishness and pride abound. With you, we can see people as You see them, for You look upon the heart.

    You never know what someone has endured. Be kind, quick to forgive and empathetic. Be Christ.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

No comments:

Post a Comment