Saturday, May 8, 2021

Marshmallows or Steak?

 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters." Genesis 1: 1 & 2

    In an article about actor Jeff Bridges, he was talking about the relationship he has with his three daughters. With one of the three, he said he shares a "spiritual connection." With interest I read on, wondering if he may be a Christian but, no, he went on to discuss the oms they chant together and so on.

    When googling the word "spirituality," a plethora of willy nilly phrases pop up: crystals, metaphysics, tarot cards, spiritual candles, mindfulness, healing and New Age. These are marshmallows when compared to the true T-bone steak of the Holy Spirit of God.

    While praying the other day, in awe I realized that the same Spirit which lives in me was the One hovering over the surface of the deep at the creation of the world. That's what I'm talkin' about! 

    Grasping the Trinity is difficult; we naturally relate to the Person of Jesus Christ so much easier because He was here in the flesh. But what of the Spirit? Here's some scriptures I read in my quest for knowledge:

  • "I will give you a new heart and put a new Spirit in you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you...You will be my people and I will be your God." (Ezekiel 36: 26-28)
  • "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our heart as a deposit guaranteeing what is to come."             (2 Corinthians 1: 22, 23)
  • "Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit." (John 3:5)
    At Christmastime, when we sing carols about Immanuel, which means "God With Us," this depicts the indwelling of the Holy Spirit in believers. Our bodies are temples of the Spirit, with whom we are to keep in step. This generous Spirit gift us with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. When we don't know how to pray, the Spirit intercedes before the throne of the Father for us. Our heads are anointed, as if we are royalty, and our cups run over! I can sink my teeth into these.
    
    Be wary of those fluffy, air-filled marshmallows I mentioned earlier, for they lead to evil spirits. There is only death and destruction on that menu. Select true food that has lasting substance and sates us with life everlasting, grace and peace.

"I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power through His Spirit in your inner being so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith." Ephesians 3:16 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment