Tuesday, May 25, 2021

I: Small Word, Big Problem

 "How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to the heavens; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly...I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High.' But you are brought down to the realm of the dead, to the depths of the pit." Isaiah 14: 12-15

    Someone once gave me this excellent advice: When beginning a correspondence to another, never begin your letter with "I." In practicing this, the temptation to prattle about myself is removed as the attention is focused on the recipient.

    The passage above refers to the fall of Satan, who once was an angel but got too big for his britches, so to speak. See how many times the word "I" is used? Perhaps you know someone who speaks much of themselves while failing to inquire about you. 

    Does God endorse big egos? "Pride brings a person low, but the lowly in spirit gain honor." (Proverbs 29:23). "If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves." (Galatians 6:3). "All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another because, 'God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.'" (1 Peter 5:5)

    When Jesus was invited to supper at the home of a Pharisee, He noticed how guests vied for the places of honor, so He told them a better way: Take the lowest place at the table. Then, if the host wishes to elevate you to a higher spot, you will be honored rather than humiliated. "For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted." (Luke 14:11)

    If I am tempted to crow about something, I will remind myself of Satan's fall as I join the Apostle Paul in saying:

"May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world." Galatians 6:14

    

No comments:

Post a Comment