Sunday, May 9, 2021

My Mother's Legacy

 "I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body, because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord Jesus Christ has made clear to me. And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things."                     2 Peter 1: 13-15

    A few weeks before Christmas 2015, my mom asked me to order several copies of a small book she had read entitled, "Answers to Questions about Heaven" by Dr. David Jeremiah. When the books arrived, she wrote this inscription on the presentation page: "I want you to know where your Grandpa is now." Then she set about gifting one to each child and grandchild in her family. 

    It was with tears that we received them because she was called to heaven on December 21st of that year, even though she was in fine health. Perhaps she knew this would be her last Christmas? Regardless, this dear Christian woman made "every effort" to refresh our memories of eternal life found only in Christ. 

    What a beautiful way to wrap up what she began at our births, our baptisms and our confirmations. All the bedtime prayers and family devotions, the mentoring during our trials and the earnestness with which she kept in step with the Spirit have been passed on to us. Now, as the role of grandmother soon comes to me, I know how to take up that torch and follow in the grace and wisdom of God. 

    Inside the front cover of the Bible my parents gave to me years ago is this verse:

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forevermore! Amen." 2 Peter 3: 18

PS: I'm coming home one day, Mom! Thanks for leading me to Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment