Tuesday, April 27, 2021

RSVP

 "The Spirit and the bride say, 'Come!' And let the one who hears say, 'Come!' Let the one who is thirsty come; and take the free gift of the water of life." Revelation 22:17

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person and they with me." Revelation 3:20

    When I was a kid, my family would pack up the pop-up and spend a week at a Bible camp in Burton. Thankfully, I remember more than just the swimming pool. There were powerful sermons by Pastor Franz, warm fellowship with a diverse people, but I especially loved the toe-tapping music. One song in particular was taught in the children's class. Here's the chorus:

"I cannot come to the banquet, don't trouble me now.

I have married a wife; I have bought me a cow;

I have fields and commitments that cost a pretty sum -

Pray, hold me excused, I cannot come."

    We used to goof around and change the one line to, "I have married a cow; I have bought me a wife." All kidding aside, the message sunk in: "Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near." (Isaiah 55:6)

    The thing about free will is that God graciously invites us into a relationship with Him which includes eternal life and an invitation to the marriage supper of the Lamb. The recipient does not have to attend, but there's an RSVP at the bottom; He is awaiting your reply. 

    The years between your birth and your death are a grace period. During this time, Jesus knocks at the door of your heart. He has free gifts for the hostess who will invite Him to dinner. Those who are too busy or disinterested to answer will one day find themselves knocking on heaven's door, only to find it closed to them because it's everlastingly too late.

    In the parable of the wise and the foolish virgins, I can imagine Jesus speaking these words in a voice hoarse with emotion and tears in His eyes: "But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the Bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with Him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. Later, the others also came. 'Lord, Lord,' they said, 'open the door for us!' But he replied, 'Truly I tell you, I don't know you.'" (Matthew 25: 10-12)

    There cannot be an obligation worth throwing away eternal life. Won't you please reply "yes" to God's invitation? He's saving a place for you at the table. 

"I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation."2 Corinthians 6:2

No comments:

Post a Comment