Saturday, May 15, 2021

What is my Identity?

 "So in Christ Jesus, you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3: 26-28

    The other day, I read about a man who had to complete an Identity Wheel as part of his job application. This was a new phrase to me, so I looked into it. The wheel is a pie chart in which the identity of the person is determined by factors such as gender, race, economic status, education, religion, country of origin, age, family structure and physical ability. 

    These questions reminded me of the product registration card I was completing after our purchase of a refrigerator. Initially, I was dutifully completing it until they asked what level of education I had. "Wait a minute," I thought, "what does this have to do with my large appliance?" Why does Whirlpool need to know if I am a white, middle-aged female who is non-Hispanic with a high school education in America? The only qualification they should be concerned with is that I am a person in need of cold food. So I quit answering so dutifully.

    One of today's buzz words seems to be "identity." How do I identify myself? Thanks be to God, I am glad to say my Identity Wheel would be composed of one large section with the name of Christ in the center! Here's why: I work as though working for the Lord; He is my employer. My gender and race do not concern Him; He looks upon the heart. I have learned to be content in whatever economic situation He has placed me because it all belongs to Him anyway. He supplies me with wisdom, willing to dole out more upon my request, regardless of my level of education. My age is of no concern to Him: to my old age and grey hair, I am vital in the kingdom of God. My citizenship is not in this world; I am just passing through. My family structure is worldwide; wherever there is a Christian, my familial bonds lie. 

    A child of the living God; that's who I am!

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment