Monday, June 7, 2021

Are We There Yet?

 "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me where I am."  John 14: 1-3

    Recently, my husband and I drove a great distance to visit family. There were times along the route when we were troubled by unforeseen events, but we pressed on together in great joy because we had a common goal: to see our loved ones.

    When we arrived in weariness and road dust, our daughter and son-in-law ushered us into the spacious, spectacular rooms with a view which they had lovingly prepared for us. There was a comfy bed, outfitted with the softest of linens, aromatic soaps and lotions awaited our bath, even a gift basket bearing selected items that were known to please and comfort us according to our personalities was presented to us. Favorite and familiar foods awaited us in the kitchen while a bouquet of purple, pink and yellow blooms graced the table, just for our pleasure. I felt undeserving of such a gracious display.

    In my heart, as I took all this in, I felt the familiar nudge of the Spirit poking me in the side as if to say, "This is a foreshadowing of what Jesus is preparing for you in heaven." Tears sprang to my eyes.

    The journey in life seems long and fraught with trouble at times. We have rainy days and wrong turns amid other days of sunshine and blossoms. Out of sorts, we never quite feel at home in our skin. We are impatient to reach our destination; will we ever get there? With the Bible as our road map and the Holy Spirit as our GPS, we know which way to turn. Our Lord Jesus has gone ahead of us to prepare a most delectable feast, fluff the pillows and arrange to spray of heavenly blooms in a vase. 

    Like a little kid in the back seat, I want to say, "Are we there yet?"

"However, as it is written: 'What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived' - the things God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9  

No comments:

Post a Comment