Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Squeaky Cat

 "Then Jesus said to them, 'Suppose you have a friend, and you go to him at midnight and say, "Friend, lend me three loaves of bread. A friend of mine on a journey has come to me and I have nothing to set before him." And he will answer from within, "Do not trouble me. The door is now shut and my children are with me in bed. I cannot rise and give to you." I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as much as he needs.'" Luke 11: 5-8

    Cats have the corner market in persistent behavior; sometimes, it's downright annoying. Take our Kiwi (please!). He's a stray we took under our wing and, though we love him, he makes the biggest pest of himself in the middle of the night. Our well-deserved sleep is interrupted by a soft chirrup which graduates to a more verbose meow accompanied by some clawing activity. Though we have tried to ignore him or reason with him, guess what? His desires are fulfilled. We are annoyed yet we still love him.

    If Kiwi had stopped after one or two requests, he'd be sitting in the house with his legs crossed while we blissfully slept. It's his tenacity that brought the answer he sought.

    In the parable above, the man sought his friend's help in fulfilling his need. He had a confidence in his relationship with the friend that overrode the inconvenience of the hour. He could not afford to be passive and his persistence paid off, even though Sleepyhead didn't want to rouse.

    Prayer is hard work. I don't refer to mealtime grace or a few tired lines uttered before bed. Tenacious prayer wears out the knees of your jeans. I have found that I give up too soon. It's not easy to talk to Someone you can't see or hear, but, as with anything in which you want results, you must practice, practice, practice! If I draw near to God, He draws up a chair and listens. 

    As you read the closing verses, be cognizant of the action verbs and remember: The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

"So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Luke 11: 9, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment