Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Letter

 "You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone, but on tablets of human hearts." 1 Corinthians 3: 2 & 3

    When looking forward requires too much of me, I sometimes travel into the past. Today, when perusing a family scrapbook, I came across memoirs written by my great-grandfather, Paul K. Dame. It's a blessing to have this history, not only to learn about his life of poverty in the Netherlands and his eventual emigration to the United States in 1893, but mostly about his faith in Jesus. This is the true treasure!

    Every morning before leaving for school, beneath his mother's tutelage, young Paul read a chapter of the Bible to her. He also recalled, "Sometimes I would find Mother lying in a corner praying, presenting her needs to God for, sometimes, she did not know how to make ends meet. That is one of the things written in your hearts which will never be erased. We can't appreciate enough a godly upbringing." He went on to say, "When we have been pointed from father's knee and mother's lap to Jesus Christ, that is a blessing."

    Reading my ancestor's story, which was woven with Biblical truths, I took great courage for my own future. After all, if Great-grandpa Dame can father ten godly children, emigrate to another country for a fresh start, work ten-hour days to earn $1.25 as he learned English from scratch, then certainly I can go forward in the faith of his God and my God who provides for all our needs. The apostle Paul's words to young Timothy came to mind: "I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also." (2 Timothy 3:5)

    As my dad once told me, "Everyone has a story to tell. That's where the word 'history' originates." So, though it may not seem remarkable to you, consider writing your story - especially your faith journey. You never know who it may encourage.

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." 2 Timothy 3: 14, 15 

No comments:

Post a Comment