Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Be a Berean

 "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." Acts 17:11

    "How did you hear of us?" That question is sometimes found when filling out new patient registration. Was it by word of mouth, referral from a friend, via advertisement or did you just wander in?

    The same may be asked of your relationship with God. How did you come to Him? Perhaps a friend invited you to church or you happened upon a sermon on the radio. Maybe you liked the way a church appeared on the exterior. However you were introduced to God, how did you become better acquainted?

    That's when the Bible becomes your greatest treasure. The other day, when reading mine, I was so thankful to have it in my language, at my disposal and at liberty to read it in my own home (not everyone has these luxuries).Have you ever thought of those saints who risked all to bring the Word to you? Both John Wycliffe and William Tyndale had a hand in bringing the Bible to me in English, and I am so grateful.

    Wycliffe (1328-1384) was an Englishman who courageously questioned the way things were done in the Catholic Church of his day. He worked tirelessly to translate the Scriptures from Latin to Middle English, against much adversity. Following his death by stroke, he was posthumously declared a heretic, his remains exhumed and burned and his ashes cast into a river. Tyndale (1494-1536), an English scholar, translated the Bible into English, drawing from the Hebrew and Greek texts, also challenging the Catholic Church. For his trouble, he was executed by strangulation and burned at the stake, branded a heretic as well. With zeal, he is quoted as saying: "I defy the Pope, and all his laws; and if God spares my life, ere many years, I will cause the boy that driveth the plow to know more about the Scriptures than thou dost!"

    My desire is to be like the eager Berean in the above passage, daily pouring over passages searching for truth. How else will I know when I am being hornswoggled? If you hear a teaching, test it! Look it up for yourself; don't take someone at their word. Only God qualifies for that. These are days of deception and apostasy. If we are not well-armed with the Word of God, we may fall prey to Satan.

    Join me and the Bereans. 

"Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long. Your commands are always with me and make me wiser than my enemies. I have more insight than all my teachers, for I meditate on your statutes." Psalm 119: 97-99

No comments:

Post a Comment