Wednesday, April 21, 2021

What's in a Name?

 "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses His name." Exodus 20:7

    Do you like your name? When I was a kid, there were no other Rachels around so I pined to be called "Jacqueline." I have since grown into my name and quite happy to have a Biblical moniker. 

    Parents-to-be pour over books of names, paying close attention to the flow, the spelling, the initials. I heard a story once about parents who were careful to select a name for their daughter which other children would not be able to mock, settling on "Danae." Imagine their dismay when the child came home from school in tears because the playground bullies called her "Decay."

    The late musician, Prince, at one point changed his name to a symbol. From what I gather, he reverted back to the original because everyone was calling him, "The artist formerly known as Prince." 

    My mother would feign weariness from her daughters constantly calling "Mom," so she'd proclaim, "I'm going to change my name to 'Gloria!'"

    How does God feel about His name? Very strongly, as seen in the commandment above. His name is hallowed, to be exalted, to be called upon when in need and to be praised for ever and ever! I cringe when I hear His name being abused and so trivialized. 

    In 1959, Audrey Mieir wrote the words to this song on Christmas morning, having been inspired as the pastor read this passage from Isaiah: "His name shall be called Wonderful..."

"His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful, His name is Wonderful,

Jesus my Lord.

He is the mighty King, Master of everything,

His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord.

He's the great Shepherd, the Rock of all ages. Almighty God is He.

Bow down before Him; love and adore Him,

His name is Wonderful, Jesus my Lord."

"They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, 'They are my people' and they will say, 'The Lord is our God.'" Zechariah 13:9

    

No comments:

Post a Comment