Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Character of Contentment

"Mordecai the Jew was second in rank to King Xerxes, prominent among the Jews, and held in high esteem by his many fellow Jews because he worked for the good of his people and spoke up for the welfare of all the Jews."
Esther 10:3

     Mordecai, a Jew from the tribe of Benjamin, had been carried into exile from Jerusalem by Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, among those taken captive with the King of Judah. He also adopted his cousin, Esther, who was an orphan. He was a good parent to her, watching out for her welfare and giving sound advice. As the story of Esther goes, he uncovered a conspiracy against the king, for which he was later honored.

     The integrity and character of this man were the same when he was a poor exile sitting at the gate as it was when he was second in command, rich and powerful. This was due to his firm foundation, the unchanging Rock of God.

     Lord, teach me to be content, no matter what I own. Like Mordecai, I need to be an advocate for the Christian people, humbly walking with you so that others may see your Light in my eyes. Teach me to put aside my selfish desires and seek your will, even in times of adversity. Mordecai donned sackcloth and ashes, fasted and prayed when the fate of the Jews seemed sealed by the king's signet ring. Yet, look at how beautifully you turned those tables. The Jews retaliated against their enemies and gained fearful respect from their adversaries.

     "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

No comments:

Post a Comment