Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What Became of Barabbas?

"With one voice they cried out, 'Away with this man! Release Barabbas to us!' (Barabbas had been thrown into prison for an insurrection in the city, and for murder.) Wanting to release Jesus, Pilate appealed to them again. But they kept shouting, 'Crucify him! Crucify him!'...So Pilate decided to grant their demand. He released the man who had been thrown into prison for insurrection and murder, the one they asked for, and surrendered Jesus to their will."
Luke 23: 18-21, 25

     I wonder what became of Barabbas? Having committed the crimes that earned him the death sentence, he suddenly found himself set free! Someone else had paid his debt for him. Was he curious to know more about this man, Jesus? Did he witness the execution with tears in his eyes, knowing that an innocent man bore his floggings, his nails, his torment? Did he kneel at the foot of the cross and ask forgiveness of his sins? Or did he, with a smirk, say to Jesus, "Tough luck, fella" and go on his merry way?

     Jesus died in my place, too. Like Barabbas, I have been set free from the death sentence I have earned. The Bible says, "The wages of sin is death." Seeing the dear price that Jesus paid in my stead, how could I go on never mending my ways? What have I done to show my gratitude?

     We are all Barabbas.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment