Sunday, April 27, 2014

Doubting Thomas? I Doubt It

"Now Thomas (called Didymus) one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came, so the other disciples told him, 'We have seen the Lord!'
     But he said to them, 'Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.'"
John 20: 24 & 25

     My pastor asked the congregation, "How would you like to be remembered as Doubting Thomas?"

     Thomas was from Galilee; perhaps he was a fisherman before Jesus said, "Come, follow me." Leaving his life behind, he became one of the Twelve, faithfully following the Messiah for three years.

     In Matthew, chapter ten, Jesus gave the Twelve authority to cast out demons and heal diseases. Then, he sent them on a mission trip. Thomas did amazing miracles in the name of Christ.

     When Lazarus' sisters sent word for Jesus to come to Judea to help their brother, the other disciples were dubious, saying, "But Rabbi, a short while ago the Jews tried to stone you and yet your are going back there?" (John 11:8) Thomas, however, had Jesus' back. In love and friendship, his response was, "Let us also go, that we may die with him." (John 11:16)

     So, after years of selfless, faithful bravado, Thomas' hopes were nailed to a Roman cross and he watched in horror as his Messiah died. Who can blame him for being cynical?

     Needing proof, Jesus met him where he was and gave it to him. The doubts dissipated as Thomas felt the wounds of redemption. He exclaimed, "My Lord and my God!" (John 20:28)

     Tradition says he labored in Parthia, Persia and India, suffering martyrdom in AD 72 near Madras.

     Like Thomas, I hope I am not remembered for my many mishaps and shortcomings, but if I am sidetracked by cynicism, I know that Jesus will meet me where I am and provide what is needed to pull me back into a right relationship with him, ready to respond in miraculous ways, even to the point of martyrdom. May it be so, my Lord and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment