Saturday, April 19, 2014

The Breath of God

"The Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being."
Genesis 2:7

"Again, Jesus said, 'Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.' And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit.'"
John 20: 20 & 21

     When God made the world, he spoke and it became so. Only with man did he form the creature from the dust and gave him his own breath. The mammals all breathed, but only man received the very breath of God. Why?

     I believe it's because he wants us to know the origin of every breath we take. All the rest of creation die and return to the dust, but we are made in God's image, set apart as something special. We have a soul.

     After Jesus' resurrection, he commissioned his disciples to spread the gospel, but before he ascended into heaven, he gave them his breath of life from his Holy Spirit. They were already physically alive, breathing with their lungs, but now they were empowered with spiritual life.

     With every rise and fall of my chest, I am reminded of the origin of my physical life and my eternal, spiritual life.

No comments:

Post a Comment