Tuesday, December 10, 2013

When Jesus Calls My Name

"When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, 'Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.' So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly."
Luke 19: 1-10

     Put yourself in Zacchaeus' small shoes. He wanted to see Jesus but, since he was too short to see over the throng, he climbed the sycamore tree that hung over the road Jesus was traveling upon. He just wanted to see him, perhaps in the same way we would pine to see a visiting celebrity. From his vantage point, excitement built as Jesus walked right underneath him but, incredibly, Jesus looked up and called him by name! By this time, the diminutive Zacchaeus probably about fell out of the tree as all eyes turned toward him. Did he just hear Jesus say he was coming to his house today? Notice the urgency in the chosen words: immediately, must, today.

     Zacchaeus was a tax collector who used to overcharge people, but when Jesus changed his heart, he made right all his wrongs, clearly repenting of his sins. May I also gladly welcome Jesus into my home, just as it is. Dust may rumble by and I may not have steaks to fry, but I can gladly open the door to my heart. So can you when he calls your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment