Saturday, March 23, 2013

Nehemiah's Prayer

Nehemiah Chapter One

There is value in Nehemiah's prayer that is quite usable today. The Jews had not listened to God for generations so He allowed the Babylonians to attack Jerusalem and carry the survivors off into exile. Years later, good King Cyrus let the remnant return to their city but they were sitting around a burnt gate and broken walls in disgrace. So, when Nehemiah heard about this, he fasted and prayed.
First, he rightly paid homage to God:

"O Lord, God of Heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and obey his commands..." (verse 5)

Then he goes on to confess not only his sins, but the sins of his family and his nation:

"I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father's house, have committed against you." (verse 6)

Then he reminds God of his promise by recounting Scripture:

"Remember the instructions you gave your servant Moses saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, BUT if you return to me and obey my command, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'" (verses 8 and 9)

Sometimes it seems Americans are at "the farthest horizon" in their thoughts and deeds, but it never occured to me that I can confess the sins of my nation as I pray for it. Maybe folks don't recognize sin as they promote gay marriage and abortion, but I know it is wrong in God's eyes. I can ask God to forgive Americans, myself at the top of the list, and help us rebuild the walls on the foundation of Christ.
Second Chronicles 7:14 bears the very promise I can pray back to God, reminding him of what he said:

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and forgive them their sin and heal their land."

It's not too late. God is faithful and just. He will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment