Sunday, March 3, 2013

Accept Your Blessings With Humility

"(Jesus) said to Simon, 'Put out into deeper water, and let down the nets for a catch.' Simon answered, 'Master, we have worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.' When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break...When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, 'Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!' For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken."
Luke 5: 4-9

Were you ever so ashamed by your own sinful condition that your heart caught in your throat when blessings surrounded you? When I see myself for who I truly am, listening to what I have said or seeing what I have done, I know I do not deserve to be in Christ's presence. He is holy, sinless, almighty, omniscient and just. Who am I that he should bless me so? I have never been hungry, rarely ailed, been loved unconditionally by my family. I have intelligence, passion, humor and sympathy. Each day, the beauty of nature displays itself wherever I go, painting a gorgeous landscape where I walk, paving my way in sunshine or shadow. God has given me the gifts of his Holy Spirit, the Scriptures, prayer and the Lord's Supper. When I sin, I want to cry out as Peter did, "Lord, go away from me!" but, I am so glad he doesn't!

No comments:

Post a Comment