Sunday, December 16, 2012

Where is God When Tragedy Strikes?

"The Lord God is in your midst, a warrior who gives victory."
Zephaniah 3:17
"You are the salt of the earth...You are the light of the world...Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 13,14

     This morning, as I read the newspaper account of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School, it hit close to home. I work at an elementary school in the office and often feel the weight of the responsibility for the safety of those inside. What if I unlocked the door for the wrong person? How would I stop the perpetration of evil should it visit? Fear began to assail me as Monday morning drew nearer.
     When I left for church, I hoped the Pastor would address this senseless tragedy and show us how to grapple with it. One of the resources he used was a quote from Mr. Fred Rogers, the television host. When, as a boy, he had heard of scary news stories, his mother would say, "Look for the helpers." Then, as I looked back on all the stories when evil seemed to reign - September 11th, Virginia Tech, Chardon High School, the Aurora movie theater, Sandy Hook - the faces of the helpers emerged like a light shining into the darkness, reminding my frightened heart that God is in our midst. He wears his heart on the sleeves of the helpers.
     Lord Jesus, as I return to work tomorrow, may I be committed to help those in need, empowered by your victorious Holy Spirit.

     "Perfect love casts out fear." - 1John 4:18

No comments:

Post a Comment