Saturday, December 8, 2012

What Do You Want for Christmas?

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me to lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside the still waters, he restores my soul."
Psalm 23: 1-3

     It's ironic. At Christmas, we celebrate the birth of this Shepherd, the desire of every nation, yet it has become a time to say "What do you want for Christmas?"  Daily, advertisements are foisted upon all of us, displaying all of the dreamy gifts we simply must have: expensive jewels, shiny boots, the latest gadget, toys that make noise and cosmetic kits for young girls.
     Where are the green pastures when we're traipsing the concrete halls of the malls with lists as long as our arm? Must we wait until we are singing "Silent Night" by candlelight before we feel that restoration of our souls? No! The advent of the Messiah is as fresh as each morning when I bow my head and humbly say, "Come into my heart, Lord Jesus."
     Honestly, I don't want a thing for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment