Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Abide in Peace

"A voice is heard in Ramah, weeping and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more."
Matthew 2:18

     As I grieve with the rest of the nation for the twenty children who were mercilessly massacred in Connecticut, I recall the evil King Herod from the time of Christ. Because he'd heard a new King had been born, he ordered the deaths of all baby boys under the age of two. The peaceful manger scene in Bethlehem simmered with diabolical undercurrents for, even in Jesus' day, terror reigned. Think of all those Judean parents whose sons, chubby and warm, were ripped from their homes; how they must've grieved. Yet, the angels heralded "Peace on Earth, goodwill to men." How can this be?
     Peace originates in the heart. During his ministry, Jesus told the people, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33) May this peace, that passes all understanding, reside in your hearts today, through Christ Jesus, I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment