Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Hope is in The Lord

"...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." -Isaiah 40: 31

"We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary, behind the curtain." - Hebrews 6:19

This is Webster's definition of hope: a feeling that what is wanted, will happen; desire accompanied by anticipation or expectation. Christmas is the ideal time to meditate on hope because it is a time of anticipation. But what am I hoping for? What is it I am waiting for?
The early believers, prior to the arrival of the Christ child, eagerly hoped for their Messiah, a Savior to make all things new. Old Simeon, who waited his whole life for Christ, was not disappointed when, taking the baby Jesus in his arms, he praised God, saying: "For my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the sight of all people." (Luke 2: 30 & 31)
So, since Jesus has already come, what am I anticipating? His second coming! He has gone on to prepare a heavenly mansion for me and has promised to come back for me so that I may be with him for all eternity. Truly this hope is the anchor of my soul, grounding me firmly and securely, renewing my strength with optimism. I may carry on because I know how the story concludes, and it's a very happy ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment