Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Slaying the Giants

"Who is this Philistine anyway, that he should be allowed to defy the armies of the living God?"
1 Samuel 17: 26

In reading the story of Goliath and David, I am so touched by David's incensed anger. He had such an undeniable faith! God had armies in heaven, he reasoned. Who was this giant compared to that? I need to see things with this amazing perspective when giants belittle me. Like David, I can boldly say, "I come to you in the name of the Lord of the armies of heaven and of Israel." (verse 45)
I also adore how his older brother, Eliab, admonished him in the usual pecking order of siblings, treating David like a pesty brat. I wonder what went through Eliab's mind when David drew his sword and cut off Goliath's head? The Lord works without regard to human means and I praise him for that. When he uses the weakest, the youngest, the stutterer or the poor to carry out his plans, it flies in the face of the influential people of power.
Like Old Testament Joseph, God's spirit in David helps him to carry out his assignments successfully. Both men rose to places of authority, both were confident in the Lord even when times were tough and unpredictable.
In my own life, my lack of faith often led me down the wrong road. I am sorry, Lord, that I listened to the enemy. Encourage, strengthen and preserve your mighty spirit within this frail vessel, so that maybe someday, I will have a David or Joseph story of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment