Monday, August 27, 2012

A Reluctant Leader

"But Moses said, 'O Lord, please send someone else to do it.'" But God said, "I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to do."
Exodus 4:13, 15

I can identify with Moses. He's very much at peace, living as a shepherd far from the problems he left behind in Egypt.  He has a good wife, some kids, probably a dog. Life is good. Then, like a lightning strike, God's burning bush sears his placid existence by asking him to return to Egypt!
I often feel tremulous when God asks something of me, either citing my ineptitude or placing the blame on my circumstances, yet God provides all I need, just as he did for Moses. He'd said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now, go. I will help you speak. I will teach you what to say."
What a gargantuan task, to go to Egypt and stir up hornets' nests. Moses lacks courage, but God can still use him, just as he can use me, too. I just have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment