Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Family Resemblance

"Why do the nations say, 'Where is their God?' Our God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him but their idols are silver and gold, made by the hands of men. They have mourths but cannot speak, eyes but they cannot see; they have ears but they cannot hear, noses but they cannot smell; they have hands but they cannot feel, feet but they cannot walk; nor can they utter a sound with their throats.  Those who make them will be like them and so will all who trust in them."
Psalms 115: 2-8

Conversely, my God made me, I didn't make him and he made me in his image! It comforts me to see that I resemble my parents, not only by physical features, but by creed, posture, tone of voice or characteristics.  I've been recognized as a relative simply by the way I carry myself. I have my dad's forehead, my mother's eyes, my grandfather's height. I love poring over old photos because they bind me to a clan. The wise Lord created families so we'd have a bracework of strength and a lasting connection.
But, the bigger picture is I am made in God's image. He has eyes, so do I. He hears all that I hear. He has hands and feet that were pierced for my transgressions. He experiences tastes and smells.  He is not an idle idol, prone and mute. He is an interactive, breathing, vocal, upright, holy, living God. May I strive to be just like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment