Saturday, June 26, 2021

Good Government

     Can you imagine if the President of the United States and all persons of authority from him on down were to practice the words of Psalm 101? If school teachers, professors, police officers, judges, senators, mayors, business leaders and movie producers would commit each morning to practice these words from the psalm, what changes could be wrought?:

"I will sing of your love and justice; to you, Lord, I will sing praise. I will be careful lead a blameless life. I will conduct the affairs of my house with a blameless heart. I will not look with approval on anything that is vile. I will have nothing to do with what is evil. Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret, I will put to silence; whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, I will not tolerate. No one who practices deceit will dwell in my house; no one who speaks falsely will stand in my presence." (from Psalm 101)

    These words were penned by King David, who was said to be a man after God's own heart, and it's little wonder how he earned that description. To be fair, David had his times of deceit in his life, but he repented of his sins and pled with God to "create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10) He had a broken and contrite heart, which is just what one needs when pursuing a right relationship with God. 

    Now, imagine if each one of us recited this psalm as a personal pledge each day, how it would affect what we will and will not do. The problems in our broken world can not be fixed by bigger government, economic stimulus checks or hand sanitizer. Wearing a mask or succumbing to a "vaccine" will not cure what truly ails us. Each one must govern his/her own heart from within and that can only succeed by the power of the blood of Christ.

    At the risk of sounding like a bearded street preacher whom some ignore, I implore all to repent and seek the Lord while He may be found. That's good government.

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment