Sunday, June 20, 2021

My Father's House

 "Listen, my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck." Proverbs 1: 8-9

    We don't get to choose our parents, but if I could have, I would have chosen my dad. He was a soft-spoken, kind, humble man who was genuinely interested in my sisters and me. A delightful sense of humor was his trademark; never boorish or sarcastic was he. I never knew just how blessed I was to have this caring, Christian man for my dad until much later in life. Before I could learn to read, he was my living Bible.

    After reading the above verse, I pondered what instructions he gave that I have followed. He taught me how to use a hammer and a paint brush. I recall his good manners when company came, he shut off the television, listening and gifting people of his time. By example, he showed hard work and service to his church were of utmost importance, as were Bible study and prayer. 

    In his wisdom, my dad knew he wouldn't be around forever to pray for me, stand up for me and lend me aid so the best thing he left me was the key to my Father's house.  Grateful am I that my dad told me, "If a church does not preach that Jesus is God, they are going down the wrong path. They must preach Christ crucified as the only way to heaven." So, these days I am about my Father's business spreading the gospel, serving Him and attending a Bible-believing church.

    May I pass the key along to the next generation, the key to my Father's house.

"'Why were you searching for me?' he asked. 'Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?'"  Luke 2: 49

No comments:

Post a Comment