Wednesday, June 9, 2021

If Only

"If my people would only listen to me, if Israel would only follow my ways, how quickly I would subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes! Those who hate the Lord would cringe before him, and their punishment would last forever. But you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you." Psalm 81: 13-16

    Anyone who knows me knows I am a fan of the novel, "Gone With the Wind" by Margaret Mitchell. The title characters, Rhett and Scarlett, are very much alike - both headstrong and determined. He loves her passionately, but he cannot let her know it or she'd hold it over his head like a whip. Like a cat watching a mousehole, he patiently, expectantly waits for her to truly love him, but she stubbornly holds on to a childhood desire. The reader realizes Scarlett is throwing away happiness with both hands but, by the time she comes to her senses in the final chapter, it is too late. The door has been shut and Rhett doesn't "give a damn." (excuse my french)

    Reread the above scripture with this story in mind. Hear the frustration in God's words. See all that He longs to give us, if only we would drop our foolish desires and soften our hardened hearts, He'd fight for us, then pamper us with the finest of offerings. If only we would listen to Him. If only!

    In the movie, "Bruce Almighty," God has given Bruce the job of filling His shoes because he was complaining about how God was managing things. It doesn't take long for Bruce to make a mess of things and, in doing so, alienates the love of his life, Grace. In frustration, he asks God, "How can I make her love me?" Dryly, God answers, "Good question. Let me know if you figure that one out."

    Of our own free will, God wants us to love Him. Today is the day of salvation. If only we would love Him before the door is shut.

"If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you...Then they will call to me but I will not answer; they will look for me but will not find me." Proverbs 1: 23, 28


     

No comments:

Post a Comment