Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Standard of Love

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."
John 15:12

     This verse embodies the Christian standard of love. The word "standard" has several meanings:

1)   any figure or object, especially a flag or banner, used as an emblem or symbol of a people, more specifically, a long, tapering flag used as an ensign, as by a king.

2)   something established for use as a basis of comparison in measuring or judging capacity, quantity, content , value, quality.

     Christ, as my King, has a standard. On his flag would be a heart and a cross. As a follower of his, I am his standard bearer, but if my king's standard for measure is to love one another as He has loved me, that means I must be willing to lay down my life for my friends. ("Greater love has no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13) If I am honest, I would say that I do not possess that level of integrity. Often, I love others because they love me. Do I love my enemies? Do I pray for those who persecute me? How deep does my willingness to sacrifice run? What are my limits and why do I set them? Maybe I have too much pride or I am afraid of getting hurt.

     Here's where the rubber hits the road: True surrender to Jesus entails trusting him with the chambers of my heart. If I hold my cards close to the vest, then I will not see much of God's heart in return, but if I let go and freely give, so shall He freely give to me. My cup overflows.

No comments:

Post a Comment